Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Visiting Caernarfon Castle Town

The bus journey along the A55 took about 1 hour and lead along the coast for most of the way, where the fantastic scenery of sea to the right and mountains to the left made this a very pleasant and enjoyable ride. It was a rainy day and the clouds were hanging low above the hills, giving a very gloomy feel but nevertheless, I decided to get my camera out anyway. Once I arrived at the main bus terminal, I took a taxi to my intended destination, in order to keep an arranged appointment for that morning, but after having fulfilled my commitments, the day was mine to enjoy and combine duty with pleasure, in other words, have a look around the town and take a few photographs. When I reached Castle Square in the centre of town, the majestic Caernarfon Castle takes your breath away, in the way that it suddenly appears into view, as if out of nowhere.

100_4606_edited-1 Strolling along the cobbled streets of the town, looking for different angles and views, whilst trying to avoid the rain, I happily snapped away and filled my camera’s memory card, in the hope that my battery wouldn’t let me down (… every photographers nightmare…).

 

The Castle itself is open to visitors and for a small fee, you can enter the grounds and climb the steps right up to the tower, as well as visiting the small museum inside the castle.

 

For my part, I did not go in, but observed and photographed the surroundings outside and around the castle.

 

A small bridge takes you to the other side of the estuary, where all the sailing boats are harboured and the full view of this magnificent castle falls into perspective.

 

 

Returning to the the other side and entering Castle Square, I spotted a small display of water fountains, whilst some children were playing happily a game of, trying to avoid getting struck by the the water. They were having so much fun and it was a joy to watch, as the water display ran it’s course…

100_4631_edited-1

100_4626_edited-1

The water fountain display and the Presbyterian Church are to be found at Castle Square, in the heart of Caernarfon. Whilst I was there, I spotted a load of red and white boundaries around the square, which didn’t make for good photography and trying to avoid those, proved to be a bit tricky. (You can spot them in the background on close observation.)

 

The weather just didn’t improve that day and as the bus timetable dictated my visit, it was time to head back home.

 

The bus journey back was just as enjoyable, with the wonderful scenery of this beautiful welsh landscape opening up to my left and to my right, all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment