Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tree for ID please…!

Whilst I was walking through the village and visiting our local park, I noticed a very unusual and exotic looking tree, in the far corner. It is growing next to a little stream and has been in flower for quite some time. The beautiful pink flowers turned into green pods over time and at my last visit I saw, to my disappointment, that most of the pods had dropped to the ground.

100E4425
100_4423
Since I first spotted this tree and became mesmerized with it’s beautiful flowers and foliage, I have been trying to find out what type of tree it is and where it might have originated from, but so far with no success.
The tree is growing by a little stream, in a shady spot at the end of the park,  so I assume it likes moisture and shade, as well as the local climate. Palm trees and other exotic plants, seem to like it here in Wales, as I have noticed many species of tropical plants, thriving in surrounding gardens and parks. We enjoy what is called a ‘Micro-Climate’ in these parts, very mild winters and warm to moderate summers.

100_4426


100_4454
100_4453
The stunning pink flowers have now evolved into rich, green pods which appear to be laden with seed. Unfortunately, most of the pods have dropped off the tree but I was very lucky to have found a couple on the ground, just under the tree. I will dry the pods and plant the seeds, just to see, if I can grow this tree at home. Meanwhile my quest for it’s identity will continue and if anyone has any information on the identity or origin of this tree, I would be very grateful to hear from him/her.

No comments:

Post a Comment