Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November Fruit - Cornus Kousa Tree

Another unusual tree came to my attention, whilst on a stroll through the local park. Laden with fruit, the Cornus Kousa Tree, caught my eye for it's unusual berries. Wondering whether these would be edible, for they truly look delicious, I took a couple of pictures and a fruit sample home with me. After having contacted The Tree Advice Trust, who have very kindly assisted me in the identification of this species, I googled Wikipedia and found out that this tree is native to Asia and apparently the fruits are edible. They reminded me a bit of Lychee in their appearance but would probably taste very differently.
I never cease to be amazed by the abundance of foreign and interesting trees we have growing right on our doorstep.

4 comments:

  1. Great picture! Thank you for the description of this tree. Let me know what the fruit tastes like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments Clint. When the fruits are ripe, I will have to go back and pick a few, mainly for seed, as it would be nice to try and grow one of these amazing trees. If I feel courageous enough, I might even taste it and let you know, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never see such tree!
    Thank you for informations!
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went back to the park today and picked some of the fruit, although most of them were still not quite ripe yet. I did have a little taste, they are quite soft and fleshy, full of seed and this particular one had a slightly bitter aftertaste but I put that down to it not having reached full maturity yet.

    ReplyDelete